Wednesday, September 19, 2012

So far this week I've been working on getting the valve covers ready for filler/paint.  Because the coil packs and the plastic covers that go over them look like hell on top of the engine, I've decided to remote mount them and shave the mounting bosses for them on the valve covers.  That way the covers would be exposed, giving it more of a clean look on top.  Coil relocation kits and custom valve covers seem like really dumb things to spend money on so I'll be doing my own work.

Before:



After Shaving:


I ran out of metal blades for my dremel so had to use a hack saw to cut all of these fuckers off.


Bosses ground down flush and filled with plastic metal - well as flush as I could with a fucking angle grinder.  I also took a small carbide tip to clean out the accent stripes in the middle of the cover.  I'm gonna try to find a conical stone that will fit the profile, the tip of the carbide cutter wanted to walk all over the place, making it difficult to keep it uniform.





Starting to sand the casting surface:






Getting there.  It's going to need some more filler to get the boss holes flush as the plastic metal shrunk a bit after it cured.  There's some waves in the top surface from the casting also.  But once I get the casting texture off, I'll apply filler and primer.  Then it's getting Wrinkle black to match the intake manifold.  The accent lines and ring surrounding the mounting screws will be painted a bright silver to add some contrast.

No comments:

Post a Comment