Sunday, January 19, 2014

A little more progress this week.

Coolant Crossover

Some parts and tools came in.  My flaring and bending tools arived....Ridgid 377 for 37 degree -AN flares, as well as bending tools from Eastwood.  The pliers suck, but the rolling bender works pretty nice.  Some of the bends I need to make are smaller than the minimum bend-to-bend distance this tool can do though, so not sure how I'm going to handle that yet.




The flaring tool works nice though, can support up to 3/4" tubing.  I haven't tried stainless yet though.




I then bought 25' of regular steel 1/4" line from the parts store and got to mocking up my lines.  I've redone these several times so far, but this is the best I could come up with for the moment to come up with a rough shape.




The challenge here is that I need to make bends in close proximity to my terminations.  If I bend it first, I won't have enough line to put the flare on.  If I flare it first, I have no way of making the bend (without kinking the line) in the place I need it.  I was hoping the pliers would be able to do this but they make marks on the line wherever they're in contact with it.  More research to do on this.  If it doesn't work out I'll just run braided lines and call it a day.  Need to make my manifold block before I can do much of anything though.

More parts...

Yes, more parts indeed.

Plumbing stuff to make my power steering, fuel, and coolant steam vent hoses when the time comes.


Electrical

Also decided to start digging into the wiring harness.  I completely de-pinned the PCM connectors and tore apart the wiring harness, connector by connector.  It's really not that complicated as most of the "snake" are common hots and common grounds.  The confusing part will be in figuring out which pin to send each sensor signal to, as grounds and low references get the same wire color (smart).

Here's where it started way back when:


 Here's what it is as of tonight.  The multimeter is pictured to make it look like I know what I'm doing.


 Next step will be to label each pin and get designations for each wire.

It will be rerun and tied together on the engine stand to make for the cleanest routing I can muster.

No comments:

Post a Comment