Sunday, November 18, 2012

A little more progress over the past few days/weeks/whatever.

Cylinder Heads

Finished the combustion chambers on one of the heads and polished the valves / valve seats.  I coated the sealing surface in layout fluid to serve as a visual aid for when I'm doing the final-stone on it prior to assembly.  For the time being I suppose it will also serve as mild protection from scratches/dings.




Bottom End

I also took the rotating assembly out of the motor to get a look at the main/rod bearings.  Wasn't too happy with what I found.





Lots of pitting here on the main bearings.


Uneven wear on these rod bearings:



Worn camshaft bearings:


Either the guy lied about the mileage of the engine or the owner didn't do so well with keeping up on oil changes.  The crankshaft journals look ok, no scratches that I can feel.  Depending on whether I can find a machine shop I might have them do a clean up polish to the journals.  I'll be replacing all the bearings and installing ARP hardware throughout.  As I'm doing this I'm going to also need to get the rods and mains honed to regain the roundness that is lost due to the increased clamping load.

I also took this opportunity to pull the block off the stand so I could regrease the pipe.  This will make the engine much easier to move around as I'm rebuilding it.


Got some new parts and tools in for the bottom end rebuild.  ARP hardware for the mains, rods, camshaft gear / retainer plate, and crank bolt.  Also new Clevite camshaft bearings, Red Line assembly lube, and ARP assembly lube.  New tools from JEGS are rod-bolt stretch gauge, micrometer set, and dial bore gauge.  These will aid me in checking my jounral clearances and runouts - I will be completely (re)blueprinting the engine, I don't want to take do all this work only to spin a bearing on startup or something.






More to come soon hopefully.  Still working on the heads and still have to finish the other valve cover.  Also need to get a camshaft bearing removal/installation tool and some other stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment