Sunday, April 28, 2013

A few new tools...general purpose body hammer and dolly, plug weld pliers, and mig pliers.  Also got a spare spot weld cutter.


Spent most of the time I had this weekend working on the rear seat area.  Cut out a big chunk and started cleaning it up.


This piece reinforces the end of the transmission tunnel and is spot welded to the floor pan along that flange.  I bumped the flange back into shape and used my plug weld pliers as backing to shave the holes I created when drilling out the welds.  The copper works really well to remove heat from the steel and prevent blow throughs.  I think I would have really struggled to fill them without something like this.  I also stitch welded the seam of the trans tunnel / reinforcement layer to help add some additional reinforcement to the joint.


Also stitch welded the seams of the "b" pillar cross member.  I was fighting weld contamination on the right hand side, I got under it the best I could with the wire wheel but the seam sealer was catching on fire and outgassing before the weld could solidify, causing porous welds at first.

 
The left side I did much better....I suppose better cleaning but I was also experimenting with holding the torch differently and seemed to be able to get better consistency.  I've found that being comfortable and also being able to see well help with that.  Still not the best but I did have a couple good welds.



For the most part I got them to lay pretty flat, which suggests to me that I at least had it on the proper heat setting.


I'll be ordering sheet metal this week and will start laying out the patch panels.

No comments:

Post a Comment