Sunday, September 8, 2013

Just some misc stuff this weekend.  Spent what felt like all day in the garage on Saturday and accomplished less than nothing.

Worked to break loose some adjustable rear camber arms that I intend to sell.  Looking to upgrade my setup and get away from these arms - the vendor designed the bushing end to be proprietary so you can't use either version of the stock style replacement available everywhere.  Fucking assholes.

Had to get out the angry tools.  Pipe wrench, huge ass pipe, kroil, torch, hydraulic press, hammer.  Great success.


Tried to also unseize my coilovers.  I'm going to let them soak in kroil for a while longer but they may be a lost cause.  The strut bodies thread into the housing to allow you to adjust ride height.  For whatever reason I didn't anti-seize them prior to install because they came coated in a light oil.


Might be looking at buying new front coils because they won't budge with what feels like 3000 ft-lbs of torque on it.  I had a 3 ft pipe on the housing while my dad had a 3 ft pipe on the collar nuts, both pushing/pulling as hard as we can on it.  A situation where a little prevention goes a long way. 

My dad picked up a couple gnarly tools today at an antique show though.  4" vice for 45 bucks and a brass hammer for 10.



I also made a handle extension for the pressure screw for my bead roller out of some scrap pipe I had left over.  Coped the t-joint slight and ground a M10 bolt down until the head could be pressed into the ID of the pipe.  Welded it out.



Works real nice.

Also made this panel that will be going under the drivers seat mount.  I flanged 3 sides to all the panel to sit flush with the adjoining metal, and bent one side 90 degrees to tie into what will be the inner layer of the rocker panel.  Rolled some beads for extra rigidity.  I pre-stretched the bead area with a ball peen hammer prior to rolling so that the panel would remain relatively flat after rolling the beads.  Not doing so will cause the panel to distort to all hell.


I hope to get a few more sheet metal tools in the coming weeks to help me improve the quality of my work / make my life easier.  Also starting to look at TIG welders.

No comments:

Post a Comment