Sunday, February 3, 2013

Fixed the CV joint housings today

I started by cutting out the damaged area on both housings and ground it flat on my bench grinder.



The flange I cut off is the only thing that keeps the inner race in contact with the outer race of the joint, so I needed to add more metal.


On replacement cv joint boot kits, they send replacements for these.  So I cut off the top of them like so.



Tacked them up


Finished welding around the perimeter.  The bead is pretty tall because I didn't grind down the welds as I went, as you usually would with sheet metal.  I will eventually be grinding them down flush to check for voids and re-weld as necessary, but figured this was enough work for today.


Almost ready for reassembly.


Today I also installed drawer liners in my welding cart and bought a big moving blanket at harbor freight that I'm going to turn into a cover for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment