Monday, January 14, 2013

It seems that the last of my engine parts for the short block are in.

Callies Compstar LS1 6.125" Rods, Forged H-Beam with 7/16" ARP 2000 bolts
Diamond #11502 3.905" -1.66cc Flat top pistons
Diamond plasma-moly ring set
Clevite main + rod bearings, stock clearances


Took a bit of artistic license on this one.  Haters gon' hate.


Once I get the balls to take everything to the machine shop, things will proceed as follows:

-Torque plate cylinder hone to 3.905" bore (or for 0.004" piston to wall clearance, whichever comes first)
-Align hone main journals
-0.005" deck (partially for clean up, but primarily for chasing the quench numbers I want).
-Balance rotating assembly

Gotta figure out if my rings require filing or not - if they do I might have to have the shop gap them much to my chagrin because I don't have a torque plate.

I will also be doing the assembly / clearance checking myself.  I've put too much thought into the shortblock at this point to push one of the most critical steps off onto someone else that may or may not particularly care as much as I do about getting things right (plus I'd rather put that money towards more parts).  At least this way if the motor grenades I'll only be able to blame myself.

Also still figuring out what I want to do with the heads.  A set of worked 243's were spotted locally on craigslist, and for the money involved in getting my 241's up and running it's a wash between the two.  Might as well get the more badass ones.

Tentatively have the valvetrain laid out:

-0.040" Cometic MLS head gaskets
-LS7 lifters / LS2 trays
-TSP 228R 114 LSA cam (but also researching EPS lobes as well)
-LS2 timing chain w/ LS2 damper (but also considering an adjustable timing set.  A pretty useful tuning tool should I need it).
-Head option 1 (less badass):  worked 241's milled for 62 cc chambers
-Head option 2 (more badass):  spotted on craigslist - ported 243's with 5 angle valve job, stainless valves, pac dual springs for .680 lift, new seals, retainers
-Head option 3 (badass):   PRC Stage 1 LS6 heads
-Head option 4 (broke):   215cc AFR's
-Chromoly pushrods - length unknown due, though I reckon they'll be shorter than stock due to the different travel of the ls7 lifters

My hope is to get the engine machined, built, and fully dressed by the time winter's over.  Then I can actually get started on the swap.



No comments:

Post a Comment